Imagine on a blue-bird morning in March in #ParkCity, being perched atop any one of our Resort Bowls preparing to drop in to a pillow of powder preserved in the shade of a chute with up to a foot of new snow, and it’s all yours! The crystal blue sky offered clear views of the surrounding peaks as you drop in and experience weightless turns into the bowl and do it all over again and again. Did we mention there were no crowds?
Welcome to spring skiing, one of the best, possibly most underrated, aspects of our sport. There are many reasons to love spring skiing in Park City. Here are just 10 of our Top 10 Reasons to ski Park City in March.
- Lodging Deals. Park City Resort Lodging is offering the best deals of the season in March. Take up to 20% off or get your 4th night free, including Ski-in/Ski-Out Resort Plaza. Check this link for updated Park City Lodging Deals.
- Amazing Weather. Blue bird skies, and skiing with one less layer will always make skiing that much more enjoyable
- Great snow. There’s that magic window between when the top layer of the snow starts to thaw and when the melt sinks more than four inches into the surface. That window is when spring corn emerges and there is only one option for skiers and snowboarders. Harvest the corn.
- Beer tastes better in the sun, after a day of skiing, outside. Whether you’re tailgating in the parking lot or about to dance on the sun-deck in your ski boots, few things in life taste better than a beer after a day of spring skiing.
- Get a Google tan. My doctor will frown at this one, and I DO wear loads of sunscreen year round. But even with the most consistently applied SPF, your face will get tan, which will breathe new life into your face, which has been shuttered behind a thick neck warmer and goggles all winter long.
- Powder is an even more special surprise. Those turns down Jupiter? Pure bliss. Especially because they were unexpected. Finding powder in spring (unless, of course, we’re getting that perennial epic blizzard in April) is like a gift from the snow gods. March is historically one of Park City’s snowiest months and often brings surprise storms of fresh, fluffy powder. Combined with blue-bird skies, the morning-after powder runs are some of the year’s best.
- Kids love it. The best time to introduce kids to skiing is in the spring because it’s warm, comfortable, and a soft landing. You might even try snowboarding as well in the spring.
- Beginners love it. What sounds more appealing: trying to learn how to slide downhill with your feet immobilized in strange objects in zero degree temperature or in forty-five degree temperature?
- Celebrate Easter in Park City. Concluding Spring Gruv is the Annual Easter Celebration at both Park City Base and Canyons Village as well as Deer Valley Resort. There are many Easter activities in Park City, including the mountain-wide Easter Egg Hunt! Festivities begin promptly at 9:00 am.
- Spring Gruv & Pond Skimming –Park City/Canyons Resort features free outdoor concerts every Saturday at 3 p.m. The best part? You can ski any resort and take part in the festivities, which occur at the resort base. If you’ve never seen #PondSkimming costumed contest in action, it’s an event worth attending live. If you’re brave, you can even don some festive threads (a Bogner one-piece will do) and participate. This year’s event will take place at Canyons Resort on March 24. More about Spring Gruv in Park City.
Save 20% of Park City Lodging in March or get your 4th Night Free
We had perfect spring conditions, a record breaking crowd, and some of the most ridiculous costumes we have ever seen. Relive all the glory in this recap video! Spring Grüv 2015!